A 5-Step plan to build a viral marketing campaign. Mark Fidelman shares his top tips. Plus, how to find the right influencers and which emotions evoke the most sharing. ThinkLikeAJournalist.com
Mark Fidelman is the CEO for Fanatics Media, a Digital Marketing Agency with a focus on ecommerce and influencers. He was named a Huffington Post Top 50 Most Social CEO, and Inc said he’s one of the top 25 social media keynote speakers. Mark writes the Socialized and Mobilized Columnist on Forbes and is the author of the book SOCIALIZED! He also hosts a popular marketing YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/fanaticsmedia.
His experience includes more than two decades of technology sales and marketing with organizations including A.T. Kearney, EDS, CT Space and Autodesk. Mark draws upon his experience as a Chief Marketing and Sales Strategist where he led numerous social initiatives and programs while working in partnership with companies like Microsoft and IBM.
His latest book, Socialized! is regarded as the playbook for building a social business. Fidelman uses his own experience plus interviews from hundreds of executives to create a highly acclaimed book considered by many to be required reading for their organizations. The book has been endorsed by top executives at IBM, Microsoft, Salesforce.com and SAP.
Mark was Named 2013 Huffington Post Top 50 Most Social CEOs and is a globally recognized thought leader on the subject of Social Business, Mobile Business and Mobile Social Networks. He’s interviewed hundreds of Global 3000 CXOs and speaks and writes regularly about how they are impacting today’s business.
I am afraid of widths.
Think Like A Journalist Quote
Remarkable social media content and great sales copy are pretty much the same–plain spoken words designed to focus on the needs of the reader, listener, or viewer. –Brian Clark, Founder, CopyBlogger
“The two most important things in building a business are innovation and marketing and the rest of us is bullshit.” –Peter Drucker
They came up with the Millionaire Next Door…. The Retiree Next Door….was created to …interviewed the top people in finance…created eBook…reached out to journalists…packaged it up and did videos…delivered to yahoo first. Posted to journalist…14,000 downloads in one day…had to sign up to get the service that converted from a free trial out of.
When It Didn’t Work!
Helping a Microsoft partner launch in the Microsoft eco system. Didn’t identify a partner to help release it. They release the piece. No one came.
How To Build A Viral Marketing Campaign
- Who can we partner with to elevate our campaign? The team will brainstorm on who they might be proud to partner with and who is capable of helping to elevate each others platforms. The key here, however, is, Making sure there is alignment and it really needs to be a true partnership. ….buyers journey….what does the buyer go through in order to buy your product…understand the pain points.
- Find the right influencers. We work with influencers that get four million views every time they post a video …how does our product address those pain points, what social channels are they watching…fb, linkedin, youtube….we know your target audience…we have content that they want…make sure the journalist follows through…
- Identifying a relevant industry event or gathering to sort of piggyback off is can have huge benefits as people are already coming together and the audience can really be activated at these occasions.
- What emotions are you evoking? Laughter and Anger significantly increase the odds, sadness decreases viral potential. [25:46]…you absolutely have to evoke emotions….
- Paid versus organic. Almost all viral campaigns these days have a paid element. Some much more than others.
What is one piece of technology, video or multimedia equipment, or app that you just can’t live without?
One book, documentary, or Internet Channel to watch?
Get a free audio book when you try Audible free for 30 days: www.audibletrial.com/TBJApodcast
Or get a physical copy use my Amazon affiliate link. It won’t cost you more but it will send me a few coins to keep on building our crazy good content here. 🙂
Thanks For Listening
I know that you have many choices when it comes to listening to podcasts. So, I want to say THANK YOU for choosing The Brand Journalism Advantage.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it by using the social media buttons you see at the top and bottom of this page.
Also, I would love a review…it just takes a minute to share your opinion and rating for the The Brand Journalism Advantage podcast on iTunes. Your review means a lot to me and helps others find my show. The reviews also help with ranking of this show and they reviews are always read by me.
Please remember to subscribe to The Brand Journalism Advantage on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!