Learn how to become a digital marketing influencer from a Top 100 Digital Marketing Influencer. Find out how Daniel Knowlton made the list and how you can too.
Daniel is the Founder of KPS Digital Marketing and has a passion for creating and sharing step by step Digital Marketing tutorials on his blog. He is also a writer for Social Media Examiner and Content Marketing Institute. Daniel is a keen speaker and was recently named #12 Most Influential Digital Marketer on Twitter in the world in 2016.
When I was a young child, I refused to wear normal kids clothes and would only wear clothes that old people wore (I’ve always been very strong willed).
Think Like A Journalist Quote
“Social media will help you build up loyalty of your current customers to the point that they will willingly, and for free, tell others about you.” –Bonnie Sainsbury (@bsainsbury)
Build a career around your passion. Read Crush It.
Recent career highlight is being named #12 Most influential Digital Marketer on Twitter in the world in 2016.
When It Didn’t Work!
Mistake #1: being spammy on Twitter, automated outreach to influencers on Twitter, tweeted 30 times in 1 go, got bad feedback – changed what I was doing – became less robotic
Mistake #2 Website Popups: Had too many, people were complaining, bounce rate was high etc. Made big changes and reduced intrusive popups.
How To Become A Digital Marketing Influencer
1. Use Digital Marketing effectively to market yourself: Be good at digital marketing and apply it to your own business.
- Create value adding content
- Distribute across social media, email list etc.
- Engage & build relationships
- Be genuine! Help others
- 20% creating content and 80% percent distributing content.
- Push Crew Notifications
- Start A Fire…
2. Guest Blogging: Read this post on how Daniel got his start with blogging.
- First off you need to have examples of blogs you have written on your own blog
- Use buzzsumo.com to find popular blogs in your niche
- Use google to find decision makers in that publication & build relationships (engage etc.)
- Write an innovative blog & feature the publication
- Come up with innovative blog ideas & apply
- Follow up
3. Speak at Events
- Start small, join local chamber of commerce
- Use any opportunity to practice speaking
- Get honest feedback
- Film yourself & watch back
- Google ‘call for speakers’ & apply
- Create speaker page on your website
- Again join local chamber of commerce
- Google ‘networking events + location’
- Make sure you are going to at least 1 – 5 networking events per week.
- Never be too “salesy”, add value & be genuine
5. Consistently engage & build relationships with other influencers
- Read my blog: How To Effectively Automate Influencer Outreach
- Read my CMI blog: 5 Ways To Get Noticed By Influencers On Twitter
- Make sure you add value for influencers & are genuine
- Share their content & tag them.
- Send personalized videos to them on social media
- Add them to a Twitter list & engage
- Create a twitter list and engage with people on that list
Think Like A Journalist!
You have been hired to help an ailing company that’s about to financially collapse. Its reputation’s shot. You have one month, a $1000 budget, a smartphone, and a laptop. How do you begin to turn this company around?
- Analyze why the company is failing
- Target Market research, customer pains, wants, needs etc.
- Create a structured Action plan
- Train the team how to utilize content marketing, social media marketing & email marketing to grow the business & how to become influential in the industry.
- Create video content strategy (use smartphone) focused around creating value-added video content to build relationships with audience & share valuable insights to answer their questions.
- Create blogging/ guest blogging strategy.
- Targeted Facebook Ads (instant results).
How To Make Frothy Coffee Shop Coffee At Home – YouTube
What is one piece of technology, video or multimedia equipment, or app that you just can’t live without?
One book, documentary, or Internet Channel to watch?
All of Gary V’s books: #AskGaryVee, Crush it, Thank you Economy & Jab, Jab Right Hook
- Augmented Reality is going to be BIG
- Nintendo first company to take up mass market with Pokémon Go
- Social Media Platforms will use AR to get people networking outside in an AR world
- Businesses & Brands will bring the tech community outside of their houses, to events etc.
- Storytelling: when you walk past somewhere where your friends shared content, you get notified & can watch the video as if you were there.
LinkedIn Profile: Daniel Knowlton
Thanks For Listening
I know that you have many choices when it comes to listening to podcasts. So, I want to say THANK YOU for choosing The Brand Journalism Advantage.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it by using the social media buttons you see at the top and bottom of this page.
Also, I would love a review…it just takes a minute to share your opinion and rating for the The Brand Journalism Advantage podcast on iTunes. Your review means a lot to me and helps others find my show. The reviews also help with ranking of this show and they reviews are always read by me.
Please remember to subscribe to The Brand Journalism Advantage on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!