What is brand journalism? Do I need a brand newsroom? How does this compare to content marketing? Should I hire journalists? I talk with fellow Brand Journalist, Jim Molis, about how brand journalism helps your company.
Jim Molis connects companies to customers by writing compelling stories and
informative content that aligns a company’s goals with its audience’s interests.
As president of Brand Journalists Group, a B2B content creation firm, he applies
business and editorial skills that he has honed through more than 20 years of experience
writing for and about businesses as a journalist and marketer.
Jim is a former editor of the Jacksonville Business Journal and was previously
managing editor of the Atlanta Business Chronicle.
Think Like A Journalist Excerpt
“Brand journalists bring a reporter’s sensibility to your content—an editorial approach to building a brand.” From the article: A Marketer and a Journalist Walk Into a Bar: 5 Definitions of Brand Journalism
“There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit.”
Jim share his story about starting out in traditional journalism and becoming the editor of the Jacksonville Business Journal before moving into brand journalism.
When It Didn’t Work
Jim shares his story about when it didn’t work and what he needed to do to help his company. Find out what went wrong and why.
How Brand Journalism Can Help Your Company
- Put your customers first.
- Think about what they want to hear, see, or read.
- Start with the 5 Ws and H and tell stories that are focused on helping the consumer.
- Study where and when your customers are seeking this information.
- Think about how your brand can tell those stories, such as human interest stories that match the interest of your consumers.
- Make sure your stories have an authentic voice that represents the brand.
- Be transparent.
- Learn from what the marketplace demands. How will your brand solve the customers’ pain points?
- Find relatable stories that demonstrate what the brand does best.
Mentioned In This Episode