Ian Lyons, a digital director, shares why you must learn to ask WHY repeatedly. Plus, how a brand journalism campaign changed a hotel’s culture, its products, and services, and positively impacted its profit margin.
Ian Lyons is a consultant digital director who has a 25 year technology career spanning the globe and organizations from startups to the largest private and government institutions. Recently he has delivered compelling digital experiences for The Cool Hunter, P&O Cruises, Sydney Festival and Traders Hotels (Shangri-La).
Think Like A Journalist Quote
“We are all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn’t a stronger connection between people than storytelling.” ~Jimmy Neil Smith, Director of the International Storytelling Center.
Be curious and work from first principles.
Working on a brand journalism campaign that changed a large hotel’s culture, its products, services, and profitability.
When It Didn’t Work
Find out what Ian did when a supplier he recommended to a top client didn’t deliver.
Brand Journalism, Marketing & Technology Advice
- Enterprise software is becoming more visual.
- You must be able to adapt to the changing behaviors of customers in a digital world.
- Using face recognition software is becoming more popular and is more engaging for users.
- Technology and social media can have a negative impact. There’s no where to allow the expression of real sadness and a life that’s not going so well. Most of the time people put their best foot forward in social media. Ian believes this can lead to depression as other people compare their lives to others.
- The more you can empathize with customers the greater chance of surviving and thriving of business.
- Measure actual behavior and deliver products and services that meet serve those customers.
- Pay attention to micropayments. The future of ecommerce will make use of micropayment systems.
Book, documentary, podcast, Internet Channel
Share This Show